Clément Cogitore: Les Indes Galantes
Les Indes Galantes (The amorous indies), is an opera-ballet created by Jean Philippe Rameau in 1735. He was inspired for one of the dance by tribal Indian dances of Louisiana performed by Metchigaema chiefs, in Paris in 1723. Clément Cogitore adapts a short part of the ballet by mobilizing a group of Krump dancers, an art form born in Los Angeles black ghetto in the 1990s. Its birth occurred in the aftermath of the death of Rodney King and the riots, as well as police repression it triggered. Amidst this coercive atmosphere, young dancers started to embody the violent tensions of the physical, social and political body. Both the tribal dance performed in Paris in 1723, and the rebellious Krump dancers of the 1990s shape a reenactment of Rameau’s original libretto, staging young people dancing on the verge of a volcano.
After studying at the École Supérieure des Arts Décoratifs of Strasbourg, and at the Fresnoy-National Studio of Contemporary Arts Clément Cogitore develope an artistic practice halfway between cinema and contemporary art. Combining film, video, installations and photographs his work questions the modalities of cohabitation of men with their images.
There is often question of ritual, collective memory, figuration of the sacred as well as a particular idea of the permeability of the worlds.
His films have been selected for numerous international festivals (Cannes, Locarno, Lisbon, Montréal…) and won several awards. His work has also been screened or presented in various museums (Palais de Tokyo Paris, Centre Georges Pompidou Paris, Haus der Kultur der Welt, Berlin, Museum of fine arts, Boston, MoMA New-York…).
- Date: Monday, 2 April 2018 > Monday, 30 April 2018
- Schedule: Loop
- Location: Horma
- Access: Free entry
- Ángel Santos: Teenagers (21 film portraits) 01-01-2016 > 31-01-2016 - Loop - The Wall
- Salomé Lamas: A Torre, Theatrum Orbis Terrarum and Norte, el juicio del fuego 01-02-2016 > 29-02-2016 - Loop - The Wall
- Birgit Hein: 5 works 01-03-2016 > 31-03-2016 - Loop - The Wall
- Gerhard Treml and Leo Calice: Eden's Edge / Three Shorts on the Californian Desert 01-04-2016 > 30-04-2016 - Loop - The Wall
- Eloy Domínguez Serén: Yellow brick road 16-05-2016 > 23-06-2016 - Loop - The Wall
- Jean-Gabriel Périot: Our days, absolutely, have to be enlightened 24-06-2016 > 31-08-2016 - Loop - The Wall
- Mathieu Kleyebe Abonnenc: Préface à des fusils pour Banta 06-10-2016 > 20-11-2016 - Loop - The Wall
- Entre islas 12-12-2016 > 01-01-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Natalia Marín: New Madrid 02-01-2017 > 31-01-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Jean-Marie Straub & Danièle Huillet: Europa 2005, 27 de octobre 01-02-2017 > 28-02-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Lois Patiño: Fajr 01-03-2017 > 31-03-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Laida Lertxundi: 025 Sunset Red 01-04-2017 > 30-04-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Sasha Huber & Petri Saarikko: Remedies-Rongoâ 03-05-2017 > 31-05-2017 - LOOP - The Wall
- Hacked Circuit: Deborah Stratman 02-06-2017 > 30-06-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Susana de Sousa Dias: Natureza morta 07-07-2017 > 31-07-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Jennifer Levonian: Xylophone 07-08-2017 > 17-09-2017 - - The Wall
- Ana Vaz: A Idade da Pedra 02-10-2017 > 30-10-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Carla Andrade: Sibila 06-11-2017 > 30-11-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Emilio Moreno: The I Mine 01-12-2017 > 31-12-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Lucrecia Martel: Rey muerto + Pescados+ Nueva Argirópolis 31-01-2018 - Loop - The Wall
- Camilo Restrepo: La Bouche 01-02-2018 > 28-02-2018 - Loop - Horma
- Helena Wittmann: 21,3º C 01-03-2018 > 31-03-2018 - Loop - The Wall
- Clément Cogitore: Les Indes Galantes 02-04-2018 > 30-04-2018 - Loop - Horma