Lucrecia Martel: Rey muerto + Pescados+ Nueva Argirópolis
Rey muerto, Lucrecia Martel, 1995
Rey muerto 1995, 12’
Pescados 2010, 4’
Nueva Argirópolis 2010, 8’
The aim of The Wall in January is to review some of the shortfilms by Lucrecia Martel and completes the Focus dedicated to the Argentinian director.
Almost ten years are gone from the last film by Martel. Meanwhile, her role transformed from one young unknown director that amazed Berlin with her debut –and pointed a new line to follow in the Argentinian cinema-, to a cult author with her own language and style in the International circuit of auteur cinema.
How did everything begin? It’s a question we usually ask ourselves when we review the work of any big author. What happened before? How did she learn to frame? Her work with the sound? And moreover: What happens inside us if we watch again or we discover for the first time, all her films? In this selection of The Wall we could access a less visible side of her filmography: her shortfilms.
Rey muerto is the work that the producer Lita Stantic watched and that gave Martel the access to her first feature film. In her own words: “it was a western as the ones I made when I was younger but a little bit better, with a bit more of knowledge, made with whatever we had, trying that experience to be our film school. It was Estaban Sapir’s first cinematography in 35mm and he put the wrong filters so the sky was orange and blue; the sound is incomprehensible; and many other things that we accepted because we were learning”.
Pescados is a collaboration with the composer and singer Juana Molina that Lucrecia made as part of the jury of Notodofilmfest and consists on some fish that dream to be cars.
Finally, Nueva Argirópolis is based somehow in Argirópolis, the capital of the confederation between Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay that Sarmiento proposed to create in the island Martín García in 1850.
The rest of the Focus consists on the screening of the three feature films by Martel, an encounter between the public and the director, a reading-lecture by Selva Almada and the screening of Años luz (2017) by Manuel Abramovich, a portrait of Martel during the shooting of her last film, Zama.
- Date: Wednesday, 31 January 2018
- Schedule: Loop
- Location: The Wall
- Access: Free entry
- Ángel Santos: Teenagers (21 film portraits) 01-01-2016 > 31-01-2016 - Loop - The Wall
- Salomé Lamas: A Torre, Theatrum Orbis Terrarum and Norte, el juicio del fuego 01-02-2016 > 29-02-2016 - Loop - The Wall
- Birgit Hein: 5 works 01-03-2016 > 31-03-2016 - Loop - The Wall
- Gerhard Treml and Leo Calice: Eden's Edge / Three Shorts on the Californian Desert 01-04-2016 > 30-04-2016 - Loop - The Wall
- Eloy Domínguez Serén: Yellow brick road 16-05-2016 > 23-06-2016 - Loop - The Wall
- Jean-Gabriel Périot: Our days, absolutely, have to be enlightened 24-06-2016 > 31-08-2016 - Loop - The Wall
- Mathieu Kleyebe Abonnenc: Préface à des fusils pour Banta 06-10-2016 > 20-11-2016 - Loop - The Wall
- Entre islas 12-12-2016 > 01-01-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Natalia Marín: New Madrid 02-01-2017 > 31-01-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Jean-Marie Straub & Danièle Huillet: Europa 2005, 27 de octobre 01-02-2017 > 28-02-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Lois Patiño: Fajr 01-03-2017 > 31-03-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Laida Lertxundi: 025 Sunset Red 01-04-2017 > 30-04-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Sasha Huber & Petri Saarikko: Remedies-Rongoâ 03-05-2017 > 31-05-2017 - LOOP - The Wall
- Hacked Circuit: Deborah Stratman 02-06-2017 > 30-06-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Susana de Sousa Dias: Natureza morta 07-07-2017 > 31-07-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Jennifer Levonian: Xylophone 07-08-2017 > 17-09-2017 - - The Wall
- Ana Vaz: A Idade da Pedra 02-10-2017 > 30-10-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Carla Andrade: Sibila 06-11-2017 > 30-11-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Emilio Moreno: The I Mine 01-12-2017 > 31-12-2017 - Loop - The Wall
- Lucrecia Martel: Rey muerto + Pescados+ Nueva Argirópolis 31-01-2018 - Loop - The Wall
- Camilo Restrepo: La Bouche 01-02-2018 > 28-02-2018 - Loop - Horma
- Helena Wittmann: 21,3º C 01-03-2018 > 31-03-2018 - Loop - The Wall
- Clément Cogitore: Les Indes Galantes 02-04-2018 > 30-04-2018 - Loop - Horma