Spaces to be the way we want to be
Seminar on feminist pedagogies
At the root of feminism is the questioning of essential and dichotomous identities, while at the same time affirming that identity is complex, dynamic and performative. However, we know that when people socialise we immediately understand which are the “appropriate” ways of behaving and which are “expected” of us, and we understand even more clearly the social punishment that will result if we find ourselves outside this classification.
Educational spaces are crucial spaces for socialising and should be places where different options for the construction of identities are opened up. But what happens when schools do not have sufficient tools to overcome the barriers generated by stereotypes? What happens when there are cases of exclusion or violence in the playgrounds? What can we do as education practitioners to avoid the different forms of oppression in the classroom? And how can we turn the group into a safe space where we can be what we want to be?
During the last few months the working group on feminist pedagogies has been working on safe spaces. In order to be feminist teachers, creating safe spaces in the educational context is regarded as the first step. To help us in this reflection, we have invited Eider Goiburu (19 March) and Marije Apodaka (20 March) to run this seminar whose objective will be to share new strategies. Both have extensive experience within the context of feminism, in education and the field of participation.
- Date: Monday, 19 March 2018 > Tuesday, 20 March 2018
- Schedule: 17:30-20:30
- Location: Artist's Space
- Language: EU
- Access: Registration
- Price: Free
- School laboratory: Co-creating our spaces 15-10-2016 - 09:30-17:00 - Z Hall
- Feminist Strategies in Education II 12-12-2016 > 13-12-2016 - 17:00-20:00 - Artist's Space
- ¡Me importa un pimiento! (I couldn't care less) 08-02-2017 > 09-02-2017 - 17:00-20:00 - Artist's Space
- School Peripheries. Art and Education. Thinking together about collaborative projects 11-05-2017 - 17:00 -20:00 - Espacio de creadores
- OINHERRI: herri hezitzailea, eskola herritarra 28-10-2017 - 09:00 -14:00 - Z Hall
- Feminist Pedagogies. Work Group. Session Zero 20-11-2017 - 18:00 - Artist's Space
- Feminist Pedagogies. Feministaldia 27-11-2017 > 28-11-2017 - Monday 17:30 - 20:30 | Tuesday 17:30 - 19:00 - Artist's Space
- Spaces to be the way we want to be 19-03-2018 > 20-03-2018 - 17:30-20:30 - Artist's Space
- Art and feminism 23-10-2018 - 17:00 - 20:00 - Artist's Space